win with only a brief scare

Descripción de los pasos necesarios para el registro de usuarios

win with only a brief scare

Notapor Cl11234566 » Jue, 05 Dic 2019, 08:32

NEW YORK -- The old guard took care of this one for the Phillies -- with both their bats and their brains. Ryan Howard had four hits, including a tiebreaking single in the ninth inning, and Jimmy Rollins homered and scored four times to lead Philadelphia past the slumping New York Mets 5-4 on Saturday night. Chase Utley drove in two runs for the Phillies, who have won the first two games of the series against their NL East foes after dropping four straight to Toronto. Rollins, Utley and Howard, the All-Star core of Phillies teams that won five straight division titles and a World Series championship from 2007-11, combined to go 9 for 12 with four RBIs. "Yeah, it felt good. It felt like old times out there," Howard said. "If we can get everybody going all at the same time, itll be a force to be reckoned with." David Wright hit his first home run since opening day, ending the longest drought of his career, and had three RBIs. But the Mets wasted another great chance to score in the late innings, losing their season-worst fifth straight and eighth in nine games. Following some confusion in the eighth, Philadelphia reliever Mike Adams (2-1) escaped a major jam by retiring pinch-hitter Bobby Abreu on a bases-loaded comebacker to keep it tied. "Obviously, I had to make him swing the bat," Adams said. "I threw a two-seamer that ran down and made him hit my pitch." With runners on second and third earlier in the inning, the Phillies held a meeting at the mound and threw an intentional ball to Eric Campbell in his second major league plate appearance. Thats when Utley and catcher Carlos Ruiz noticed the 40-year-old Abreu, cut by Philadelphia near the end of spring training, getting ready in the dugout. Utley and Ruiz persuaded Adams to go after Campbell before Abreu had a chance to bat. "We decided to change our minds," Utley said. "We saw him coming up there. We try to see everything, but we dont always." Adams said the chat pumped him up, and Utley is "always on top of it." The intentional walk was called off and Campbell eventually took strike three. "That was pretty neat to watch," Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg said. Rollins drew a two-out walk from Kyle Farnsworth (0-3) in the ninth and went to third on Utleys single. Howard followed with a line-drive single to centre. Jonathan Papelbon worked a hitless ninth for his 11th save in 12 chances. With a runner on second, he retired Wright on a foul popup to end it. A frustrated Wright held his bat above his head most of the way back to the dugout, then lingered on an otherwise empty bench for a few minutes with the lumber still in his hand. "The frustrating part is losing," Wright said. "An inning here, an inning there is costing us multiple games over the last few weeks." After the start was delayed 39 minutes by rain, the Phillies wasted no time jumping on Dillon Gee, who had a 7.46 ERA in nine previous starts against them. Philadelphia began the game with consecutive singles and a stolen base before Utleys sacrifice fly ended Gees career-best scoreless streak at 16 innings. Domonic Brown blooped an RBI single, but Gee dodged additional damage when Cody Asche lined out with the bases loaded. Wright tied it with a two-run shot on an 0-2 pitch from Kyle Kendrick, snapping a streak of 136 at-bats without a homer since March 31 against Washington. "I dont build my game around hitting home runs, so it wasnt too much of a monkey at all," Wright said. Rollins homered off the facing of the second deck in right to put Philadelphia ahead 3-2 in the second. Kendrick retired 14 of 15 batters after Wrights long ball and took a two-hitter into the sixth, when he walked leadoff man Juan Lagares. Daniel Murphy singled and Wright plopped an RBI double into right field, just beyond a diving Marlon Byrd. Campbell, with his parents taking pictures in the stands, was sent up to pinch-hit for his big league debut. He gave the Mets a 4-3 lead with a bases-loaded sacrifice fly against lefty reliever Jake Diekman -- and was all smiles while receiving a high-five from Murphy and congratulations in the dugout. "It was a real up and down day," Campbell said. Rollins legged out an infield single in the seventh and advanced on Scott Rices wild pitch. Utley doubled off the centre-field fence to tie it at 4. NOTES: Kendrick, hurt by poor run support, is 0-8 in 14 starts since beating the Chicago Cubs on Aug. 6 last season. ... Howard is 9 for 18 against Gee with six homers and 14 RBIs. Rollins is 11 for 22. ... Ben Revere made a terrific, tumbling catch in deep centre to rob Travis dArnaud of extra bases. ... LHP Cole Hamels (0-2, 7.02 ERA) will try again for his 100th career win when he makes his fourth start of the season Sunday in the series finale against LHP Jonathon Niese (2-2, 1.82). Hamels was hit hard in a 6-1 loss to Niese at home on April 29 and is 7-14 with a 4.65 ERA in 27 starts against New York. Air Max Plus Sale . This week, they discuss the NCAAs revenue sharing, Don Zimmer, soccer language and Super Bowl 50. Nike Air Max Factory Outlet .J. - Percy Harvin is ready to go, and theres no question in his mind hell be playing Sunday. http://www.cheapairmaxchinawholesale.co ... utlet.html Yeezy Boost 350 v2 Wholesale . The Calgary Stampeders announced both moves on Wednesday. Parker played 17 regular season games with the Stampeders in 2013, setting career-highs in catches (21) and yards (217). Cheap Balenciaga Shoes . The veteran NFL receiver received his work permit and is in Montreal for the start of the Alouettes rookie camp. Johnson even took in the Montreal Canadiens Game 5 win over the New York Rangers at the Bell Centre Tuesday night.LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Rory McIlroy stood over a 10-inch putt in gathering darkness to win the PGA Championship as flashes from thousands of camera lit up Valhalla like a rock concert. Everyone wanted to capture a moment from golfs latest coronation. In his biggest test, McIlroy played his best golf Sunday to win his second straight major and establish himself as golfs next star. And what a stage. The final major was pure theatre with an All-Star cast -- Phil Mickelson, Rickie Fowler, Henrik Stenson all with a share of the lead on the back nine. The final two hours were filled with eagles and birdies, with tension and chaos. McIlroy never had to sweat so much to win one of golfs biggest events. And thats what made this major so much sweeter. "It is the most satisfying," McIlroy said. "To win it in this fashion and this style, it means a lot. It means that I know that I can do it. I know that I can come from behind. I know that I can mix it up with the best players in the world down the stretch in a major and come out on top." The final par -- the easiest shot he faced all day -- gave McIlroy a 3-under 68 to outlast Mickelson by a stroke and beat the darkness that threatened to spoil this show. He became only the fourth player in the last century to win four majors at 25 or younger. The others were Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus and Bobby Jones, three of the games greatest players. Boy Wonder appears on his way to belonging in that group. "I didnt think in my wildest dreams Id have a summer like this," said McIlroy, only the seventh player to win the last two majors of the year. "I played the best golf of my life. I really gutted it out today." But one of the greatest shows on soggy turf came with a most peculiar ending. Three shots behind as he stood in the 10th fairway, McIlroy got back in the game with a 3-wood from 281 yards into 7 feet for eagle. He took the outright lead when all three of his challengers eventually made bogey, and finally gave himself some breathing room. With a 9-iron from a fairway bunker to 10 feet for birdie on the 17th, he took a two-shot lead going to the par-5 closing hole. Because of a two-hour rain delay earlier, darkness was falling quickly and it wasnt certain McIlroy would be able to finish. McIlroy was allowed to hit his tee shot before Mickelson and Fowler had reached their drives. Both were only two shots behind, still in the game. McIlroy came within a yard of hitting in a hazard right of the fairway. Then, the PGA of America allowed McIlroy to hit his second shot. Mickelson and Fowler had to stand to the side of the green. "We were cool with hitting the tee shot," Fowwler said.dddddddddddd "We werent expecting the approach shots." Fowler had a 50-foot eagle attempt to tie for the lead. He was well off the mark, and missed the short birdie putt attempt that cost him his third straight runner-up finish in a major. Mickelson was short of the green, and his chip came within inches of dropping for an eagle that would have tied him for the lead. Mickelson appeared upset that they had to wait to finish the hole -- not standard procedure in a PGA Tour event -- and he made two references in a TV interview that this is the only championship the PGA of America runs all year. "It didnt affect the outcome of the championship at all, I dont think," Mickelson said. "Its not what we normally do. Its not a big deal either way." Mickelson closed with a 66 and was runner-up for the ninth time in a major. Fowler became the first player in history to finish in the top five at all four majors without winning one. He closed with a 68 and tied for third with Stenson, who fell out of a share of the lead by missing a 3-foot par putt on the 14th hole. Stenson shot a 66. McIlroy hit his second shot into a bunker, and he had to two-putt from 35 feet for the win. He lagged the first one to tap-in range, and the major was his. McIlroy repeatedly pumped his fist before letting out a scream above the gallery that had been treated to a Sunday it wont soon forget. McIlroy won his first two majors by eight shots at the 2011 U.S. Open and 2012 PGA Championship. Only a month ago, McIlroy took a six-shot lead into the final round of the British Open and completed a wire-to-wire win with only a brief scare. This was different. "I think I showed a lot of guts out there to get the job done," he said. It might not have been possible without a 3-wood on the par-5 10th hole. McIlroy watched Fowler make a 30-foot birdie putt ahead of him for the outright lead and knew it was time to get going. He hit his 3-wood lower than he wanted, and further to the left than he wanted, but it turned out perfect. Once he joined the leaders with a birdie on the 13th, none of the contenders made another birdie the rest of the way until it was too late. All that was left after an exhausting day of raw emotions was for McIlroy to summon enough energy to hoist the 27-pound Wanamaker Trophy. He crouched before the presentation, trying to collect his thoughts at the last month. Not since Woods in 2008 has anyone won three straight tournaments, and they were big ones -- the British Open, a World Golf Championship and the PGA Championship. He played them in a combined 48-under par. "Hes better than everyone else right now," Mickelson said. ' ' '
Cl11234566

Volver a Como puedo hacer para entrar?